This is a page for how to make Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup cake flour* 100g
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt 120g
For the Frosting:
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar 500g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, softened
- 2 - 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup desiccated coconut 60g
- 2 coconut chocolate bars
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract, butter, and yogurt, and whisk until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling only 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter until pale and creamy. Add half of the icing sugar, and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until combined. Add the coconut milk and coconut extract, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and frost the cooled cupcakes. Coat with desiccated coconut, and top with a piece of coconut chocolate.
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 cup (125g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 2 tablespoon, and replace with 2 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, covered tightly, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Cupcakes can be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Cover the frosting, and store in the fridge until ready to use.