- For the Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:
- 1 and 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, if using frozen do not thaw first
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but really amps up the lemon flavor)
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, optional
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). *Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine 1 and 3/4 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the sour cream, milk, and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice; whisk well to combine and set aside. Place blueberries in a small bowl; add remaining lemon juice and toss to coat the berries; add remaining flour and toss to coat the berries in the flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Add in the granulated sugar and lemon extract (if using) and beat until well combined. Add in the egg and egg yolk and mix well. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add in 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix until just combined (this should take about 5 seconds). Add 1/2 of the sour cream mixture and mix until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and sour cream mix, being sure to mix on low until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the floured blueberries (and any excess flour in the bowl) and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cupcakes are cool, frost and decorate. The cupcakes may also be frozen, unfrosted and stored in a freezer safe bag, for up to 2 months.
- Top each frosted cupcake with a pinch of lemon zest and extra blueberries, optional but pretty!
You will have enough batter to make 15 cupcakes. Cupcakes may be frozen, unfrosted and stored properly, for two months. Fresh or frozen blueberries may be used, if using frozen, do not thaw first. Lemon extract is optional, but recommended if you want a very lemony cupcake.