- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- (1) 8 ounce block full-fat cream cheese, very soft
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but really amps up the lemon flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
In a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium-speed until smooth and creamy. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the powdered sugar and lemon juice, beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, lemon extract (if using) and lemon zest; beat smooth. If the consistency appears too thick, add a teaspoon of milk or heavy cream, but only if necessary. The frosting should be creamy and spreadable, but also thick enough to hold its shape. Pipe or spread the frosting on top of any cooled cupcake.