- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 4 cups milk 960ml
- 9 oz dark chocolate 265g, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whisk together the egg yolks, and sugar until pale and thick. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the milk, chocolate, vanilla, and spices. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring often until the chocolate has melted, and everything has combined.
- Remove from the heat, then gradually add the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth and combined.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 days before serving. Reheat, or serve cold.
This recipe can easily be halved if you need less servings.